Wednesday, March 23, 2011

TASK 2B Sustainable Consumption

The first video i had watched was the story of bottled water. I was seriously surprised in how much bottled water can harm the environment. I had no idea that businesses were using the technique called "Manufactured Demand" as their basis into conning consumers like you and me to buy their bottled water that is supposed to have come from "mountain springs" where instead they are actually just filtered water. Also the production costs and transportation costs to the environment and also the fuel used could power 1million cars? Like seriously this is a problem! This video really gave me in insight into what businesses are trying to do and i am happy that i watched it.

The second video was the story of electronics. Most electronics now are "Designed for the dump" its horrible! What anne has said that every house has at least one pile of random cables and chargers is so true! I can't agree more! And this is because of all the business designing for the dump. Once the product life ends, they are usually not recycled or if anything, sent to china and for them to retrieve the very little amount of minerals that can be reused then burn up the rest, at the risk of the people in china wearing no protective gear. I do agree with the "take back" laws where businesses will take back their old technology and reuse them to redesign the old products into something more long lasting and easier to recycle.

No comments: