Thursday, October 30, 2008

Rationale: Project Three - Treasuring Time

This project reflects and captures the times when it may be fast or slow, whether it may be good or bad, whether it may turn out positive or negative, basically the very essence of time. Who would have thought that treasuring these times would mean so much to some people, but on the journey that i took it does...

I've taken the approach of treasuring times when things don't look too good, times when things seem impossible, but when once over these times, you feel like you can do anything.
My design, is trying to replicate a boxing glove in which it is wrapped in plaster, where it shows such times as injury, depression etc... Times when things have not looked too well but have gotten stronger from the experience and can now reflect towards it. The boxing glove represents strength, as boxers show their power in the ring by using their gloves.

There is also a miniature model of the boxing glove made from leather that you can keep with you as a constant reminder that you have been through all of this, and can now keep going. Its a memorial item that you can squeeze for "strength" when needed.

Overall I'm a bit disappointed that i had not took this further and that it may had been a lot more in depth and the overall concept could be further improved.



3 comments:

Desmond Yiu said...

A very interesting concept that i can relate to. The mood board you showed during the presentation had a picture with the 'stress kit' on it and i believe that picture itself explained the feeling you were trying to tell us. The boxing glove analogy seemed to work for me, but it does seem abit to literally, so perhaps changing the shape? Other than that, good job!

Jeff said...

I think the concept is good however the way in which you have conveyed the concept is not as powerful. I like the plaster idea representing healing and becoming stronger however i think the boxing glove confuses this idea and more emphasis should have been put on either the glove concept or the cast idea.

Mina Chung said...

Hi Gabriel, I like your design idea. It is really interesting and I've never thought about those thing to capture my time. However the model you made is not very strong to show your concept. I guess It would be better changing the shape, but you;ve done well!